Welcome to the PTA Section of the Website. We will be bringing you the latest news on fundraising, PTA Minutes and activities at the school. As ever we welcome your feedback, so please feel free to submit any suggestions, questions or ideas to any member of the PTA any time! Use the Contact Us Form section to get in touch!
What does the PTA do?
PTA McMillan Cancer Coffee Morning - this is a wonderful event and raises money to support the work of this very worthwhile charity.
P1 Parent and Child Welcome Night - This is a very informal and relaxed event designed to help new parents feel welcome and get to know each other.
Christmas Cards - PTA arranges for the children to design and produce individual Christmas cards to raise money for funds.
School Christmas Fun - this event helps to raise money which will be used to support the work of the school.
Movie Night - these are evenings of fun for the children.
Parent training - PTA secures funding to provide training on a range of topics for parents and families e.g. First Aid,Defibrillator, helping with homework etc.
North Belfast Children's Allotment - pupils and parents from Cavehill Primary and St Therese of Lisieux meet to learn new gardening skills and grow their own produce in the grounds of Cavehill on selected Saturday afternoons from March-May. This is a wonderful project and we have now a gardener who comes into help each week.
Click Here for Children's Allotment Newsletter 1
Click Here for Children's Allotment Newsletter 2
Click Here for Children's Allotment Newsletter 3 (April 2016)
Click Here for Children's Allotment Newsletter 4 (April 2017)
Parenting NI Workshops - We were pleased to invite all of our parents to attend one or all of the parenting workshops planned for last year as outlined below. These were very well-received by those attending and covered a range of topics:
Stress Management; Assertiveness; Communicating with your Child; Building Resilience in Children; Managing Emotions; and Promoting Independence.
Feedback from those who attended included:
- Realised I’m not alone, I’ve gained more coping strategies.
- I’ve given my son more of a voice = a more relaxed mum.
- I put less pressure on my children and myself and give more praise.
- Lower my voice to strengthen my argument!
- Helped me let my child become more independent and make more decisions.
- Made me think more about my behaviour with my kids and how I parent them.
- I now try to take time out when I’m getting annoyed, trying not to shout and reasoning more.
- I feel better equipped to support my child.
- I have useful tips to help me be a better parent.
- I make the time to give more praise.
- I am grateful I had the opportunity to attend the course.
- I have benefitted from all the advice and reading material I was given.
- I believe I am a better listener which directly affects my relationship with my children.
- Good insight into issues affecting parents daily.
- I recognise stress in both me and my child better and am therefore able to deal with it better.
- Love to have family workshops at the school with all of the family involved.
- Would like to see courses on dealing with teenagers/almost teenagers being run.
- Would like to see an emotional intelligence class being taught to children in school/after school.
- Think there could be more emphasis in the workshops on the problems/difficulties that children might experience across the topics and how as children they could respond and cope with those.
- Lauren was a wonderful course leader, warm and caring and always listening. She definitely made the course enjoyable and her easiness helped everyone relax and open more.
- Really well organised and the communication was great. Would love to see the PTA/school being able to run more of these type of courses in the future for all the family. Very much enjoyed.
Parents' Social Event at Duncairn Centre for Arts and Culture - these provide a great opportunity for parents to meet and chat informally in a relaxed environment.
Summer Festival - We hold this event in the afternoon and have a range of stalls, BBQ and live music for everyone to enjoy. This is generally very well supported and raises funds for PTA to support various school projects.
HELP YOUR PTA TODAY! Contact school for details of the current PTA committee